I have a granted patent for a Portable Garage. I started the project in 2004 after taking volantary redundancy from a secure job, in a Cash Office where I held the post of Supervisor. I enjoyed the work and got on well with both Management and my colleagues, so it was a difficult decision to make. However, it was the opportunity I needed to have the time to work on two patents and two childrens books I have written and illustrated.
The Portable Garage is a solar powered, fully automatic, remote controlled mechanism which would be opened or closed within minutes. It consists of a hidden, expanding, four way [match-box like] mechanism which operates the expansion of a slimline plastic, layered topbox, from which hardened plastic,concertina vertical or louvre type blinds unfold out along the expanding frame to form a solid lockable covering.The blinds interlock together as in tongue and groove to form a solid surface. It also has sensors for all weather protection both internally and externally.
I have done four models:-
- ELIMENTARY - Carport structure
- STANDARD - Covering to window level
- DELUXE - Full covering garage
- PRESTIGE - Colour Coded, moulded covering designed to the contours of the shape of a specific Vehicle - to be done in conjunction with Car Manufacturers.
I have also done covers for all modes of transport and free standing objects and containers.
- It took 5 weeks to find employment, which gave me enough time to do two patents myself without the help of a Patent Attorney.
- I got a second job later in the year and now work two jobs , 6 days a week.
- Whilst I had only the one job I attended the NWES Start Up Course and I have my certificate.
- Portable Garage Patent was granted in the beginning of 2007, two years ahead of schedule.
- I have had a meeting with Police Officials for Crime Prevention in Norfolk and I have two letters stating their support of my Portable Garage.
- The Police have my Market Research Questionnaires out and 6 locations and I am awaiting feedback.
- I have put my Market Research Questionnaires out at 3 locations.
- Second Patent is still a work in progress, amendments are required by 20/01/2008.
- Childrens books are not published as I put them on hold to work on the Patents.
- I have Run the Gauntlet without obtaining funding.
- I have applied for the Proof of Concept Fund without obtaining funding.
- I have attended Business Link workshops and I have obtained very beneficial contacts and advice, and it has been a learning process.
PLANS FOR 2008
- To get both financial and support by partnership with a Business Angel or Angels.
- To get an University or College to do CAD drawings and Prototype for the Portable Garage as pert of a Module.
- To get support of Manufacturing or Engineering Company.
- To get second patent granted.
- To get Childrens' Books published.
- To enter for EEDA Funding .
I HAVE A VERY BUSY YEAR AHEAD BUT I WILL SUCCEED. AS ONE DOOR CLOSES ANOTHER WILL OPEN AND I WILL BE THERE TO GO THROUGH IT, TO MAKE MY PRODUCT A HOUSEHOLD REQUIREMENT, AN ACCESSORY FOR OVER 24,000,000 EXISTING CARS [2005 statistics] IN THE UK PLUS THE NEW CARS IN PRODUCTION.
LOOK OUT FOR THE NAME OF 'TRUE'.